Did you know that Liu (劉/刘) is the 5th most common surname in the world? According to forebears.io, approximately 5.18 million people bear this surname; only Wang, Zhang, Li/Lee, and perhaps Patel are more common. “劉” is the family name of the Han Dynasty emperors, and over the course of the last two millennia many families adopted the name to gain an aura of respectability and authority. I am probably not related to anyone you know with the last name “Liu,” based solely on statistical possibilities. If you are wondering: my Chinese name is 劉晰原 (líu xī yuán), and I was born and raised in California by first-generation immigrants from mainland China, which is a long and interesting story if you ever want to ask me.
As a result, there are lots of other people named “Daniel Liu” in the world, and many of them can be found on the internet. Here are a few.
- Dan Liu (廖建明) is a Canadian-Japanese fashion designer and briefly hosted his own reality-TV show; he gets the Wikipedia (en) entry for “Dan Liu”.
- Daniel Liu is a Chinese-American supermodel, whose combination of success and six-pack-abs make me functionally un-google-able
- Daniel Liu from Toledo, Ohio is a 12-year-old student who is a much better organic chemist than I am: https://www.teenvogue.com/story/11-year-old-college-student-daniel-liu-viral-tweets (2019 update: https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/14-year-old-chemist-is-newest-member-of-university-of-michigan-lab/4010669.article)
- Daniel Liu is a high school student at Torrey Pines High School near San Diego, California, and a bioinformatics and machine learning wiz.
- Daniel Y. H. Liu is a scientist at Teck Resources, a mining and metals company.
- Daniel Liu is a student in materials science at Huazhong University of Science and Technology 华中科技大学, Wuhan.
- Daniel Liu is a real estate broker in Toronto, Canada, who owns the website danielliu.com. (I feel a little bad for all of the other Daniel Lius who are real estate brokers.)
- Dr. Daniel Z. Liu, MD, is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon at Midwestern Regional Medical Center in Zion, Illinois.
- Daniel Liu is an instructor at the McCombs School of Business at University of Texas at Austin.
Above: Colloidal solutions of 0.005% gold, arrayed by particle size (#0 around 2nm, mechanical suspension of approx. 150nm in #6), image as determined under the Zsigmondy-Siedentopf ultramicroscope. Richard Zsigmondy, Zur Erkenntnis der Kolloide: Über irreversible Hydrosole und Ultramikroskopie (Jena: Gustav Fischer, 1905).